Home About Me About Us Contact Reads

Friday, June 17, 2011

First Anniversary Gift

I have chronicled my difficulties in buying good gifts for Robbie.  He's almost impossible to buy for, just like every man ever.

So when I come up with a really good idea I get really, really excited.  And this anniversary...I came up with a damn good idea.

Rob loves art, but hates canned art.  He will never buy prints at Target or Wal-Mart, but instead prefers to find prints and other art at our framer's shop, on Etsy, and other various independent sellers.

I found this artist through a favorite blog of mine (http://www.dooce.com/) and commissioned her to create a watercolor portrait from this wedding photo:


The artist was an amazing person to work with, sending me photographs along the way and asking for my input (like I had any valuable input..."you don't draw in stick figures?").  Finally a few weeks ago I received a picture of the final product, and it came in the mail as of yesterday:


Oh.my.god. you guys. This painting came out SO well.  When I first saw the picture of it I actually got tears in my eyes.  Rob loves it too, and guess what, it works on multiple levels because the first anniversary is the paper anniversary!

If you want to see more of the artist's work click here.  She's amazing, amazing, amazing.

I wish you all the happiest of Fridays.

13 comments:

  1. Wow that is gorgeous! What a great idea!!! He's going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing gift! And a beautiful picture :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredibly beautiful and thoughful gift!! SO sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooooo beautiful! You too are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a great gift and thoughtful one too...love it!!! Happy 1st Anniversary to you both too and lovely blog!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that artist is so talented, the painting turned out beautifully!! I'm sure your husband really loved that gift. Happy anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely photograph. And a great turnout as a watercolor! I think I may have to steal this idea at some point down the road...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! The artist did an amazing job. Great idea Caitlin : ) & happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely beautiful!!! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's so beautiful! and such a creative idea on your part! you did good :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is incredibly cool, and they did a FANTASTIC job!! What a great gift for your anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and leave a comment! You know you want to.