Home About Me About Us Contact Reads

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Things I Don't Want You to Know

I'm sure you guys have seen this meme out and about, Things I Don't Want you to Know. I probably don't have to explain that it's just another type of confession post, so let's get right to the good stuff.

1. I talk to myself to drown out thoughts.  Sometimes I'm reminded of something really stupid I said or did, and it sits in my head torturing me until I can find a way to drown it out.  So I might hum or say something loudly to kind of "jar" it out of my head.  I'm not crazy, I swear.

2. When I get scared I instinctively grab my boobs.  Pretty self explanatory.  The "scared" I'm talking about mostly refers to the "surprised" form of scared, for example, if a spider or lizard runs in front of me.  I always go straight for the boobs.

3. I'm an emotional cryer.  When I get angry, sad, scared, etc. I cry.  It's just what I do.  Especially if someone yells at me.

4. I read Get off My Internets.  For those of you who don't know, Get off My Internets (shortened to GOMI) is a website mostly based around calling bloggers out on shit. There are two parts to the site, the main blog and the forum.  The forum is often--though not always--just a place for cranky people to be anonymously mean. Let me be clear that I neither endorse nor condone the body snark, personal comments about someone's religion or parenting, or really anything that's outside the realm of blogging, but like any free place in the internet you're going to get some hop-ons.  However, I will say that the writers on the main blog (and a select few of the people that write in the forum) often make some very valid points about blogging and I think their voice deserves to be heard.  I think in the blogging community we've created a very insular, sanitized environment where bloggers are free from criticism, even in the case of blatant deception, cruelty, racism, classism, failure to cop to privilege, taking themselves far too seriously, or just totally lacking self-awareness.  Sometimes bloggers say and do some really shitty things, and anyone who comes close to calling them out on their own blogs often gets dismissed or censored. I think that in this way GOMI can a valuable voice and counter-balance through which bloggers to learn what not to do or what can leave a bad impression with some readers.  That isn't to say it's gospel, or that everyone there is always correct or fair, just that I do not believe it is not something that is universally negative or that should be completely suppressed.  Phew, did that make sense? I'm aware of the potential of losing readers by posting this, but I've been trying to be as real as possible with you guys and there it is.

So what don't you want your readers to know? If you do this go ahead and leave me the link in a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and leave a comment! You know you want to.