Home About Me About Us Contact Reads

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Guest Post: Maryam Decks the Walls

While Rob and I are on vacation in Florida I thought I'd share some awesome blog writers with you.  This is my first guest post extravaganza so I hope you enjoy!  Today's post is from Maryam of Pamplemousse1983!  Maryam has been a blog favorite of mine for awhile, and of course, my partner in crime for What I Honestly Wore Wednesday.  She has a pretty damn cute little girl named Margaux and she gives some really awesome art tutorials.  So if you've been hiding under a rock and haven't visited her blog yet, go do so now!


*~*~*~*~*~*

Hi there!  My name is Maryam and I blog at Pamplemousse1983.  I'm here to talk to you lovely readers about art.  Namely, decorating with art.  Decorating can be intimidating and choosing what to put on your walls can be even more intimidating than picking a couch or rug or TV stand.

I think a lot of people love art but are not sure how to pick art that will go with the rest of their decor.  I find that there are a few rules to go by that make it a lot easier.  I find that the two easiest kinds of art to decorate with are abstract art and typographic art.  

First, abstract art.  Since you don't really have to worry about the subject, concentrate on the colors.  If the colors in your house are mainly neutral you can pick art that is more colorful.  If your decor is colorful, there are a ton of options in monochrome.  That could be black and white or just a single color. I also love pieces that are a neutral (gray or black) and one other color.  

Source
Source
Source
Source
Source

Now for typographic art.  This type of art is easy to decorate with because it is usually just one color.  I especially like typographic art that is plain old black and white because it makes a statement and works with just about every single color scheme.  It could work in a black, white or colored frame.  It's basically the little black dress of wall art.


Source
Source
Source
Source
Source
These two types of art also work well together.  I love to hang art in clusters and it is supereasy to do so when you stay within a color scheme, be it black and white or all bright colors, just make sure the tones match.

One last thing that is great about either of these types of art is if you're broke it's easy to make your own!  I have a series on my blog where I have little easy art tutorials, a lot of which you can do with things you have on hand, or on the cheap.  As far as typographic art, all you need to do is find a cool font (I like to find free fonts here) and type up a favorite quote or even a symbol like that ampersand up there.  Print, frame, done.  You could even make it really big and print it at Kinko's for poster sized art.  How cool is that?!  Or if you have nice handwriting you could even use some paint and a canvas.  The possibilities are endless!

I hope that helps and gets you on your way to covering up those lonely walls.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post! Thanks for sharing. I love typography art. Such fun. Fonts and such. I think I am mildly obsessed with calligraphy.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and leave a comment! You know you want to.