Home About Me About Us Contact Reads

Friday, July 22, 2011

Blinding Me with Science (A Hiking Post)

So as some of you know, Rob got a job this summer as a research assistant for the Mountain Pond Project (you can view their blog here...it hasn't been updated this summer yet but plenty of stuff from last year).  Essentially his advisor's research centers around testing and monitoring high-altitude ponds in Maine.  Rob works with three other college students, Amie, Sara, and Sarah, monitoring pond temperature, depth, dissolved oxygen, and other science-y things. They also create depth maps for some of the ponds that haven't yet been mapped.  I'm probably leaving something out about what they do, but it's all over my head anyway so just go read the blog.

This is the reason that he goes on all those camping trips grumble grumble.  I'd be lying if I said it didn't bum me out a little when he leaves because he's even though he's working, he's also camping and having fun with people who aren't me, and that kind of sucks for me since I'm sitting alone in my house working by meself not really having that much fun at all with anyone.  Cypress's idea of fun, i.e. rolling in dead animals, doesn't really count.

On Wednesday Rob invited me to go on one of their hikes (he's begged me to go on the camping trips as well, but my job depends on cell reception and internet access) and I agreed.  His advisor has been wanting me to take some pictures of the work they're doing for use in the blog and other promotional materials, and I was happy to oblige.

We got up early, met with the girls and set off for Saddleback Mountain in Rangeley, Maine.  We walked together for awhile but then separated (Sara, Amie and I went to one pond, Rob and Sarah went to another) and met up later.  The hike really wasn't too strenuous and it was fun getting to see what my husband does on these trips.

I thought you all might enjoy some of the pictures from the day, so here they are. My one regret is that I didn't get any pictures of Robbie and I together, but maybe next time.

  (from left, Sarah, Sara, Amie, and Robbie)

What fun have you had this week?

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a very fun and relaxing day. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome!!!! This is totally my dream job, so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty pictures! Looks like a good time, it's too bad you can't join them more often!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and leave a comment! You know you want to.