Home About Me About Us Contact Reads

Monday, June 8, 2009

Regular Monday.

The past few weeks have been jam-packed with events and news of various natures.

I got a new job which is quite exciting indeed. I start work next week and could not be happier about it. I’ll write more about the position later, once I’m more entrenched in my duties.

Rob and I finish the moving process this week. We’ve already been moving stuff to the new place slowly and this week comes the final push. I’m so excited to move in officially. I walked in today during my lunch break and the house was incredibly cool, despite the outside temperature hovering around 70. In Maine few houses have central air or air conditioning (since if you’re going to spend money on a heat-control device, you best spend it on something that provides heat for those days that get down into the negatives. Buying an air conditioner for 2 months of hot weather just doesn’t seem worth it) but because this new house is built on rock, it is naturally cooler than most houses, and certainly cooler than our current 2nd-floor apartment. It really was like stepping into air conditioning. I’m sure I will love that this summer but come winter…I might just have to buy myself a Snuggie.

This weekend is Rob’s brother’s wedding, which Rob and I are both in; I’m one of the 3 bridesmaids and Rob is the best man. It’ll be nice to see family—Rob’s mother is coming and is bringing her family, most of whom I’ve yet to meet—and hopefully everyone will behave. My dress fits perfectly and I’m bringing the Nikon D60 to see if I can take some cool portraits at the reception. I’ll share them if there are any worth sharing.

Speaking of photography, Rob and I went to a Civil War reenactment rally yesterday with the primary goal of taking tons of pictures (primarily portraits). A few came out really well and I posted them on my Flickr account (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebluevixen). I would post them here but we have the slowest internet connection ever and they’ll take forever to load.

The rally was pretty interesting. I’d never been to one personally and I was fascinated by the level to which the reenactors involve themselves in their respective characters. There were a lot of people there, too, which is surprising for an event so far in the middle of nowhere.

During the battle I heard a little boy ask, “Dad, which side are we cheering for?” to which the father replied, “The Blue Team. We want the Blue Team to win.” Sorry, my Southern friends, but I do live in one of the northern-most states! The Confederates did put up a great fight though, despite being heavily outnumbered.

After the battle we went to the “hospital” area where the reenactors actually got to “act.” One “injured” Union soldier said to a Confederate, “I’ll see you later!” and the Confederate replied, “See you in hell, Billy!”

Maine is very into its Civil War history (though admittedly not as much as a lot of Southern states). The movies “Gettysburg” and “Gods and Generals” chronicle the history of the 20th Maine, led by Joshua Chamberlain, who Mainers still revere today.

All in all it was a very interesting excursion. We also got to meet someone who was in Rob’s unit in Alaska in 1995, which was pretty cool.

Well I suppose that’s all the news that’s fit to print. I hope you’re all doing well.

2 comments:

  1. So glad the moving process is almost through for you guys. I enjoyed hearing about the reenactment, I'd like to see one sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! I forgot to add your new blog to my Google Reader.

    I loved the pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and leave a comment! You know you want to.